Am I Priced to Sell?
Attracting buyers is the name of the game. As a seller, you have two goals:
1. To get the most money possible
2. To sell as quickly as you can.
Be realistic. Price is the number one factor that most home buyers use in determining which homes to view. Although the price is set by you, the seller, the value of the home is determined by the buyer. Don't allow your enthusiasm to warp your judgment and lead to overpricing - a mistake you can't afford to make!
Here are some factors to consider - recommended by experienced residential specialists - to help you sell your home. This information is not all-inclusive and does not replace the expertise provided by an experienced RE/MAX® REALTOR®.
What Affects Your Asking Price?
- Urgency. How quickly must you sell?
- Competition. Are there just a few or many homes available in your price category and area?
- Available Financing. Does your home come with an assumable loan that is below today's rate? What are the current home loan interest rates? What financing alternatives are available for your home and area?
- Competitive Market Analysis. Do you know what similar homes in the area sold for within the last six months?
What Doesn't Affect Your Asking Price?
- Original Cost. Your price is determined by today's market.
- Investment in Improvements. Potential buyers will evaluate your homes features (i.e. wallpaper and carpet) and may include the costs to remove or replace these items in their offer.
- The Cost to Build Your Home Today. A replacement value is determined for insurance purposes only.
- Personal Attachment. Prudent buyers purchase based on their emotions, not yours.
- Neighbour's Claims. Don't listen to what your neighbours tell you is the fair market value for you home. Other homes in your neighbourhood may not be as similar as you think. Also the terms accepted by both the buyer and seller greatly affect the sale price.
- Expenses - The costs associated with selling your home.
What Happens to an Overpriced House?
- You'll Help Sell the Competition. The "correctly priced" homes look even better if your is overpriced. Most buyers are competitive shoppers.
- Your Home Will Stay on the Market a Long Time. Did you know that 80% of your potential buyers will see your house in the first four to six weeks? If you don't sell them then, it takes approximately three months to replace them with an equal number of newcomers.
- You'll Lose Market Interest and Qualified Buyers. Serious buyers use the value, quality and price of similar properties as deciding factors.
- A Negative Impression is Created. People will wonder why your house is still on the market - they'll believe something is wrong with your home.
- You (The Seller) Would Lose Money. You may have to make extra mortgage payments as well as taxes, insurance and unplanned maintenance costs.
- You (The Seller) May Have to Accept Less Money. Studies show that the longer a house is on the market, the greater the discount off the list price. Often a seller will accept less than fair market value in order to sell because of an approaching deadline.
- There is the Potential for Appraisal Problems. The appraiser from your buyer's lending institution must agree that the home is worth the asking price. If the appraiser believes the price is inflated, the loan may not be approved.
Look To a RE/MAX® Sales Professional When You Need Answers Fast...
As you can see, there are a multitude of factors that determine the asking price of your home. Finding this price yourself can be a long and difficult task. That is why thousands of satisfied homeowners, like yourself, turn to RE/MAX®. A RE/MAX® sales professional has the tools and experience necessary to compute the fair market value of your house quickly and accurately while allowing for personal considerations (such as the date by which you must sell). Your RE/MAX® REALTOR® can also confidently answer your questions about listing, pricing and showing.
A RE/MAX® Sales Representatives goals are the same as yours:
1. To get you the most money possible;
2. To sell your home as quickly as we can;
3. To make selling your home a pleasant and profitable experience for you.
When You Want to Price Your Home to SELL FAST... Turn to RE/MAX® Kelowna!
Now More Than Ever....The Agent That You Need!